Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Fairytale

Many years passed, up in my tower
Many years came and went
And out of my window, I saw other towers
But surely thought mine was decent

Days and nights I sat staring, out of my window
Watching many riders passing by.
They came from the east, they went to the west
Though none would linger at mine.

Slowly thoughts came and whispered in my ear
"Perhaps it's because of this:
Your eyes are not blue, and your hair is not golden.
Surely there is something amiss."

In front of my mirror I surveyed the damage
Taking great time and great care.
My eyes did not sparkle the way some eyes did,
And there was simply no shine in my hair.

And worse, still, for I knew the thoughts were right
As to why none came to love me.
My gown did not flow and I had not the jewels
As my reflection screamed back at me.

So I lay in my bed and cried myself to sleep
As months melted into years
For none came to rescue me from my tower
And I drowned in my own tears.

Then one fateful day, I almost could not believe,
I heard the sound of hoof beats.
They slowed at my tower, growing slower still
Until they stopped completely.

A prince had come! I cared not from where.
I sprang up to see if it was true.
I looked out my window down stories below,
And at first sight, I knew.

I ran down to meet him, my knight in shinging armor
He smirked as I opened the door, and I saw
He said that he had been searching for a princess
That my desires were his beckoning call.

So I fell, and fell hard, for the handsome prince
Who pulled me tight in his arms.
My face grew warm as he spoke in my ear
His pledge to love and keep me from harm.

But then he did something that made me think twice
About falling hard for my knight.
He asked for my Kiss, my one first Kiss
That was promised to the love of my life.

See, I had but one Kiss to give upon my lips.
Yes, one Kiss only to give away.
And this Kiss was promised to give to the man
I would marry on my wedding day.

Then from out of the darkness, those thoughts began to whisper
Cold in my ear again.
"Remember," they said, "that there is far better for him.
Best to give what he asks while you can."

So after a moment, I resolved to give
My one special Kiss away.
I closed my eyes and I waited in silence
Hoping I'd marry him someday.

His lips touched mine, and something strange happened.
My stomach twisted and lurched.
My head began pounding and I knew this was wrong.
And into his eyes I searched.

But they had grown cold and unfamiliar.
This wasn't my knight I'd known before.
I looked around only to find
My tower and my home were no more.

"Where are we?" I cried, confused and cold.
"My country," is all he replied.
I sobbed for my foolishness, knowing I was at fault
And realizing I'd fallen in love with a lie."

Hush now, my love. I'm here with you still."
His words held no comfort for me.
They mocked me in all their audacious falsehood.
Did he still expect my belief?

Night soon fell, and we made camp in the country,
In the forest so dark and cold.
I lay down, sleeplessly, crying alone.
Not knowing what next should unfold.

He thought I was sleeping, in the middle of the night
As he slowly prepared his things.
And he stole away, there in the middle of the night,
To steal some other girl's dreams.

I waited for him, day and night, all alone
In the forest he'd lead me to.
Cold and alone and sick, there I waited.
Hoping for some sort of news.

For in my foolishness, I still loved him.
I hoped only that he loved me.
For his love was my worth, that's all that I knew
That's all I could ever believe.

I know not how long I waited in the forest.
Time stood still there in Wait.
My foolishness drove me to bitterness,
My bitterness soon turned to hate.

That animal instict brought out sides of me
I never throught I would see.
I became the thing that I hated the most.
That was the end I'd reached.

Given up on life, I laid down to die
Resolving to let it end here.
I'd moved past my love, past my life, past all joy.
I'd cried every possible tear.

So there in my filth, with my sores pussing over,
I gave up on any last hope.
Shivering from the cold, not strength enough to stand,
I'd nothing left with which to cope.

But then, like a sunrise, a gentle warmth came.
It started in my chest and spread out.
When it reached my fingertips my heart started beating.
I stood, confused, looking about.

At first I saw nothing, then light from the shadows.
It came toward me like a wind.
It then became clear it was someone of great power.
Someone who knew me from within.

He was close to me now, on a great white horse.
His face was humble but strong.
I'd never seen anything more beautiful than He,
In this place he didn't belong.

He dismounted the horse and came close to me,
And I tried to shrink from his reach.
But I found myself unmoving in his presence.
I found that I could hardly breathe.

He spoke with words that sounded like honey,
And thunder was in his voice.
He looked beyond my horrible state
To put to me a choice.

"See there, in your heart, there is a hole.
Please let me come and fill it.
And there, on your lips, you're missing a Kiss,
I alone know how to reaseal it.

"You were made to love me, you see.
I am meant to hold your heart.
It is in me you will find your true worth.
The worth I placed there from the start.

"I'll not only restore your value,
I'll lift you up when I hold your hand.
I'll give you things that you'd never dream.
You are all a part of my Plan.

"See, I have a Plan that is all for you,
If you love Me first this time.
I will show you the man you deserve
Because his heart also resides in mine."

Hot tears streamed down my face.
I ran into his warm, loving arms.
I cared not what tomorrow would bring
Because, with this man, I was safe from harm.

He then took me far away.
So far away from that dark place.
He gave me a room in his castle.
Showed me my worth with his simple embrace.

He dressed me in garments of purple.
He gave me a crown of gold.
He gave me a place in his household.
He bought me with blood so I'll never be sold.

My past seems a distant memory.
Only I remember anything at all.
The King has forgotten everything.
My past transgressions, both great and small.

And though I await my prince
Our time together has yet to start
I know it will be beautiful beyond measure
Because the King has both of our hearts.

No comments: